HOME SELLERS GUIDE
YOUR BIGGEST PURCHASE – DO IT RIGHT
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING A BUYER OR SELLER CAN DO IS:
Keep in touch with your financial advisor, solicitor and estate agent. Always return their calls, return documents when requested and reply to any questions or queries raised asap.
Depending on your circumstances property sales take between 2 weeks and 4 months with the average for a first time buyer being 10-12 weeks.
GETTING A GREAT PRICE AND A FASTER SALE
When choosing an estate agent look at other properties they have on the market.
- Are their photos and property details good?
- Do they advertise on lots of different portals?
- When you call them is the customer service good?
- If they provide you with a valuation did you like the valuer?
- Did they give you good advice or just tell you what you wanted to hear?
- Ask how long it will take to get your property on the market? Monopoly can when needed, get you on the market within 2 days
- Are they pro-active?
- Get recommendations if you can.
- Don’t choose your estate agent by their fees alone.
Make sure your property and garden are the best they can be without spending lots of money
- Make sure the front garden is neat and tidy with no weeds
- Ensure the front door and windows are nice and clean
- If necessary, touch up the paint work at the front of the house. FIRST IMPRESSIONS really do matter and peeling paint on the front door or windows makes the viewer think they need to spend lots of money replacing them.
- If you have pets remove their baskets, toys and bowls for the photos and viewings, not everyone loves animals and it may put them off buying if the house has any pet odour
- Ensure if there are odours in the property, make sure they are nice subtle ones!
- Make the interior is as clean and tidy as possible, remove any clutter, hide possessions in the car if necessary, a cluttered house with lots of stuff, feels smaller than it actually is. Don’t worry about toys in the children’s bedrooms, as long as you can walk around it.
MONOPOLY'S SELLING GUIDE
Prepare your home and garden for the photos and the future viewings
Ask for recommendations then choose and instruct your estate agent. Book an appointment for them to visit the property to agree the sale price and to take the photos and details etc
Agree dates and times with your estate agents to welcome your viewers
Accept an offer from your purchaser via the estate agent. Choose a solicitor and forward the details to estate agent ideally within 48 hours of accepting an offer – Monopoly Buy Sell Rent can recommend a solicitor
Your buyers mortgage company will send a valuer to write a report on the property before they issue their formal mortgage offer.
Your solicitor will send you detailed questionnaires asking what you are leaving in the property such as blinds, light fittings, who your utility suppliers are etc. Ensure you return all the forms and provide all requested information to your solicitor as quickly as possible to ensure the sale progresses smoothly.
Despite you feeling you’ve already answered all the questions, your solicitor will probably ask you to answer more very similar ones as the sale progresses. They are probably from your buyer’s mortgage company so please respond asap
Book your removal company even if you don’t have a confirmed date as the get booked along time in advance, they can give you a price and supply you with packing materials
Talk to your solicitor and estate agent to agree a date for exchange of contracts and completion and what you want to do with the keys on the day of completion. E.g. take to the estate agents offices
Your solicitor will phone you to say the sale has completed (usually late morning on the date agreed) and you then need to hand over keys as arranged usually around 1pm and move on to your new home
* IMPORTANT- Keep in touch with your financial advisor, solicitor and estate agent. Always return their calls asap and return documents when requested. Depending on your circumstances sales can take between a few weeks and 4 months with the average for a first time buyer being 10-12 weeks.
WE'RE HERE TO HELP
At Monopoly Buy Sell Rent we pride ourselves on our customer service.
Our phone lines are answered 24/7, 365 days a year. Emails are all responded to the same day during office hours. Out of office hours emails are read and responded too when necessary late into the evenings and at weekends.