Home Buyers 10 Step Guide
- Obtain financial advice from a bank or financial advisor so you know what type of property you can afford to buy
- Find a property that suits your requirements, make an offer through the estate agent that arranged your viewing
- Acquire solicitor quotes, choose a solicitor, forward solicitor details to the estate agent, ideally within 48 hours of having a offer accepted
- Contact your financial advisor/mortgage provider to let them know you have found a property and provide all financial details required
- Instruct and pay your mortgage provider for the survey, follow up the survey and check the results, your mortgage offer should follow within a few days
- Contact your solicitor and pay for the searches
- Once your mortgage offer is accepted and all legal questions are answered you will be able to agree dates for the exchange and completion of your property purchase
- Ensure you pay your deposit and make an appointment to sign all outstanding paperwork with your solicitor including the contract
- Exchange contracts and then complete; sometimes on the same day but more usually 1 week apart
- You need to make arrangements to collect your keys either from the house you are buying or from the estate agent or solicitor. Congratulations!
* IMPORTANT- Keep in touch with your financial advisor, solicitor and estate agent, always return their calls asap and return documents when requested. Depending on your circumstances sales can take between 2 weeks and 3 months with the average for a first time buyer being 10-12 weeks.